Friday, June 10, 2011

If You Let the Flesh Mount Up On Wings, You Will Become A Frequent Flyer

The global economy has caused businesses to depend heavily on the airlines to take them throughout the U.S. and overseas to the different businesses that they have investments in. To keep customers coming back to their airline, carriers identify people who fly on a frequent basis and they are offered a frequent flyer program. This helps them to get there faster, cheaper and in more luxury.

     Our flesh also offers us a frequent flyer program. It's called by many different names. It's called the wide gate and the broad way in Matthew 7:13 and in Galatians 5:19-21 it's called the works of the flesh. Ephesians 2:2 calls it the course of this world, while Romans the 8th chapter calls it walking after the flesh, the carnal mind, the deeds of the flesh and the bondage of corruption. Every person who doesn't know Christ as their savior is automatically part of these frequent flyer programs and starts building up miles at birth, for David says in Psalms 51:5, "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." So our flesh is born with a nature to sin. The Greek word for flesh in the New Testament is sarx, which means human nature (with its frailities) physical or moral passions. The unsaved are driven to indulge in everything that it has to offer. Our five senses are the flesh's gateway to control our lives.

     A believer's membership in these frequent flyer programs are terminated once we are saved by the blood of Jesus and crucified with Him for Hebrews 9:13, 14 says:

 "For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Galatians 2:20 says:

"I am crucified with Christ: neverthelessI live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

Even though we are saved, our flesh is down but not out. It still has the sinful nature and like the mythical Phoenix that rose from its ashes, the flesh will rise again if we are not careful. One of the sins of the flesh that plagues me is laziness in my prayer life. Between work and caring for my family, I am exhausted. Sometimes I do go to bed without praying, sometimes I forget to prayer over my food. Sometimes this sin overwhelms me and I can go for long periods without praying. I get back on the frequent flyer program and start building up miles again. Jesus said in Mark 14:38:

"Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak."

     We must understand that this flesh can't be saved for Paul says in Romans 7:18:

"For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

Until we dead or are raptured from this world, there are somethings that we as Christians must do continuously to win this war over the flesh mentioned in Romans 7:23 and to stay off the frequent flyer program:

"But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."

This is what we, or whether I, must do:

1. Walk. Romans 8:1 says to walk after the Spirit. It's something special about walking with God that is seen throughout the scriptures. Enoch walked with God in Genesis 5:24 and kept on walking, God commanded Abraham in Genesis 17:1 to walk before Him and be perfect and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego walked with God the Son inside the fiery furnace in Daniel 3: 25. Stay close to Him.

2. Free. Romans 8:2 says the life in Christ has made me free from sin and death.

3. Be. Romans 8:6 says to be spiritually minded. The Spirit came to teach us all things and to bring things back to our remembrance according to John 14:26. Bring what back? The Word of God with all its promises. Galatians 5:18 says to be led of the Spirit.

4. Mortify. Romans 8:13 says to mortify the deeds of the flesh. That means to put to death daily.

5. Reckon. Romans 8:18 says we are to reckon that whatever we are going through right now in this flesh is  not  to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed in us. Roman 6:11, 12 says:

"Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."  

     If you have allowed the flesh to get you back on its frequent flyer program as a believer, you can cancel your reservations by confessing your sins to Jesus and asking Him to cleanse you again with His blood according to I John 1: 9. Do it today.    

No comments:

Post a Comment